Monday 6 January 2014

Aviator Vecihi Hurkus


Aviator Vecihi Hurkus

Today, I will write about Mr. ‘Vecihi Hurkus’,

Who? I can hear 'you' asking me.

Vecihi Hurkus, I say.


Let me begin.

This gentleman was born on January 6, 1895, in the city of Istanbul, Ottoman-Turkey.  He holds the title for building the very first plane in this country.  

Mr. Hurkus, which translates to English, to mean 'Freebird', graduated from the Ottoman Empire’s prestigious ‘Tayyare Mektebi’ Aviation school. 

He joined the 9’Th Combat Aircraft Platoon in 1918 and here; he managed to design a fighter airplane.

After World War I, and despite many many obstacles, he designed and built the first airplane.  

He was the founder of ‘Hurkus Havayollari', which is translated to English to mean 'Freebird Airlines’ in the year 1954.

Amazing achievement for an individual, which I was ignorant of until reading a ‘enlightening’ article in a newspaper.  

I thought to share.

Sincerely.

No comments:

Post a Comment